MedWest-Haywood volunteer organization offers opportunities in various areas throughout the hospital including clinical, clerical/administrative or indirect patient care areas, such as information desks, gift shop, library cart, courtesy van and other areas.
In addition to scheduled hours in service areas, volunteers provide major financial support to the hospital. The volunteers raise funds for the hospital through sales from the gift shop and other fundraising events throughout the year. Over the past 15 years, projects have included:
- Contributions to the planned Hospice and End-of-Life Care Center,
- Five $1,500 scholarships each year to Haywood Community College for students enrolled in a medical field,
- The canopy cover for the hospital entrance,
- Furnishing a consultation room in the Emergency Department and a hospice room in the hospital,
- Purchasing an MRI, an oversized wheelchair and a blanket warmer for the Emergency Department,
- Helping purchase a courtesy van for campus use, and
- Installation of an automatic door on the first floor.
- Volunteering means giving of yourself to benefit others. Women and men seeking to serve the hospital and the community are given an opportunity at MedWest-Haywood. Volunteers receive orientation prior to assuming their duties and are expected to serve at least 40 hours per year to be an active member. After orientation, volunteers may select the type of volunteer service that interests them from among 10 areas within the hospital.
They also participate in community activities, as individuals or as a group.
Benefits go beyond being a part of a team effort that provides quality health care with compassion. Volunteers also receive:
* Discounts in the cafeteria, gift shop and health and fitness center
* Annual appreciation luncheon sponsored by the hospital
* Access to hospital-sponsored education sessions
* Membership in the state-wide volunteer support organization
* Annual flu shot
- Chaplain’s Assistant
- Notifies pastors when patients identify their church
- Courtesy Van Committee
- Provides a courtesy van to transport patients on the hospital campus
- Gift Shop
- Serves as sales person, replaces stock
- Information Desk
- Provides information over the telephone and to visitors coming to the desk
- Intensive and Coronary Care units
- Informs respective family members of pertinent Intensive Care Unit patient information
- Library Cart
- Loans donated books and magazines to patients and distributes magazines to guest waiting areas
- Outpatient Surgery
- Answers the phone and takes messages, checks in patients, serves snacks to patients
- Patient Escort
- Provides escort of patients from admissions office to assigned rooms and later escorts them out of medical center when discharged
- Waiting room volunteer greets and gives telephone messages to patient’s family; escorts pre-operative patients to pre-operative clinic
Pediatric Tours: Tours for children in Haywood County schools, K-4, to introduce children to departments and procedures within the medical center.
Relay for Life: Volunteers participate in this American Cancer Society activity by walking and collecting contributions.
Bud vase for patients in RCU: Since 2004, members of the auxiliary have given a silk rosebud to patients in the Restorative Care Unit.
Hats for newborns: Newborns leaving the hospital are given a handmade baby cap, made by volunteers, as well as church groups and other knitters.
Interested persons are invited to explore this opportunity to assist the hospital staff in providing quality care for those in need of healing. You will find an organization with a spirit of cooperation, teamwork and dedication to the mission of MedWest-Haywood.
For more information, contact the membership chairperson at 452-8301 or stop by the Information Desk in the main lobby of the hospital for an application form.
“You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it’s a little thing, do something for others – something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.” - Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965)